Skip to main content

Cookies, Doilies & Puppies

My project is finished! Some of you may have been wondering what I had planned for all of those doilies my mom sent me. Thanks to a fun idea from Ashley Ann Photography that I found courtesy of The Ardent Sparrow, my dining room has that special touch you can only get from personal creativity.
I love how this doily runner turned out! After finally figuring out exactly how I wanted the doilies arranged it only took a couple of hours to actually tack them all together. I even have enough left to create another one. And if I don't like it after awhile I can easily take it apart and create something new. That = awesome.

Keep your eyes peeled for a giveaway I have planned that might just include one of these beautiful doilies.

Of course, there was more baking this weekend. Ben wanted more chocolate chip cookies but that last recipe I used wasn't the greatest. Joan from for the love of a house came to the rescue and gave me an amazing recipe. And I mean AMAZING. They seriously can go toe to toe with Nestle Toll House. Thanks, Joan!
Here's the recipe. There's about 107 calories per cookie. Yes, I counted... I'm still on my diet and could easily eat a dozen of these if I'm not careful.


Ingredients
2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and still warm
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs, room temp.
2 cups chocolate chips or chunks or hand-chopped chocolate
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans (I used pecans)

Instructions
Combine the flour and baking soda in a bowl and mix together thoroughly with a whisk or fork.

In a large bowl combine the melted butter with the sugars, vanilla and salt. Mix in the eggs. Stir in the flour mixture just until all of the dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. If possible, let the dough stand (rest) in the fridge for 1 or 2 hours or overnight. (I let it rest in fridge for the 2 hours).

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. (I baked one sheet at a time and put them on the middle rack).

If necessary, remove the dough from the refrigerator to soften.  Scoop rounded tablespoons of dough and place them 3 inches apart on ungreased or lined cookie sheets. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown at the edges and no longer look wet on top. Remove from the oven and let the cookies firm up on the pan for 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool. May be kept in an airtight container for several days.

Makes about 5 dozen cookies.
Sécia


P.S. I know I mentioned puppies. One sick one that is. Poor little Cooper was feeling a little under the weather this weekend. On the upside, I'm sure he's enjoying his diet of chicken and white rice to keep his tummy from getting too upset. He has a new vitality now, jumping around the house, so hopefully the tummy ache has run its course.

Comments

  1. Well, I wish I could take credit for the cookies, but they are really Alice Medrich's recipe!!! They look so yummy in your photos!

    Your runner is so fun! love it. it turned out great.

    poor Cooper....hope he's feeling better. please tell Cooper to not tell Ella about the chicken and rice or I fear a pretend tummy ache coming on!!

    joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooper is adorable!! I hope he's feeling better!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I will def have to give this a try for my sewing table and the best part is that you can change it up if you want!

    besos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dammmmmmmnnn those cookies look good! i will be trying this recipe on the weekend!!! :)

    www.artfulaussie.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post has it all! Pretty doilies, yummy chocolate chip cookies (will try that recipe!) and a sweet puppydog (feel better soon Cooper!).
    p.s. here's my favourite chocolate chip cookie recipe, that I bake at least once every other month!
    http://www.teachickadees.com/2009/10/baking-shortbread-chocolate-chip.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the doilie runner! Have you tried the chocolate chip cookies in the "Good to the Grain" baking book? Yum! Well wishes to the pup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doilies, cookies and puppies - what's not to love over here on your blog! I think I feel a baking session coming on for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this idea! The doilies look incredible. K

    ReplyDelete
  9. That table runner is gorgeous. What a beautiful idea. Thanks for linking to Home Decor and Organizing link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that runner is AMAZING - very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just discovered your blog, so I know I'm a little too late for posting a comment here, but I'm doing it anyhow...
    Vintage, handmade doilies are something to come across with here in Greece in almost any parents' house closet, literally stacked in dozens. Over the years, we've come to get tired of them, cause they were considered to be obsolete and oldfashioned (in a bad way). Things are turning around slowly now, as we are starting to appreciate all handmade things.
    So, to cut a long story shotr, for the past few months I've been scavaging through and looting my mom's and aunts' old things, to discover beautiful vintage doilies and such staff. I'm very happy with that!
    So, all that said, I really love what you've done with your mom's doilies, turning them into a table runner-great idea! Will do!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Popular posts from this blog

New to the Shop :: Pretty Packaging KITS

These are seriously the cutest   Pretty Packaging KITS ! Just in time for Christmas too! Oh, and guess what... they're only $5 bucks each and are available in the shop ! Are you kidding me?! Here's what you'll get: (1) 4x4x2 kraft box (1) black glitter embossed card of your choosing (1) large sheet of hot pink tissue paper (10 yards) hot pink and black baker's twine (9 yards) hot pink, black and white ribbon (3) hot pink pom poms (1) hot pink carnival ticket (3) hot pink mini clothespins So many fun goodies with lots of different ways to create your own personal touch. The added bonus- you'll receive more than enough pretty ribbon and twine to use on your other packaging as well and we even sell other colors in 10 yard spools too. And look how adorable they look with our gold dinos ! We've even added pretty, gold deer to the shop for the holidays too! Happy wrapping!!! xx Sécia F O L L O W   U S   O N   I N S T

Palm Springs Iconic Home Tour

As some of you may know, this week is Modernism Week in Palm Springs, California and we had the unique opportunity of touring the newly named historic site, the Menrad House, designed by William Krisel. It was the perfect balance of casual flow and minimalist simplicity. All I can say is I wanted to move in right then and there. Loving this retro design and those clerestory windows allowing for all of that natural light without sacrificing ones privacy. That artwork is fantastic and the bedding in that master bedroom...  love . This patio cover is to die for. A genius way to provide a bit of shade without feeling closed in. The design is so simple but the overall effect is absolutely stunning. Apparently, these homes sold so fast that a brochure was never even produced to promote them. I snapped a few shots of the neighboring houses and will share them soon. Next up, a tour of vintage trailers and caravans on Saturday. Can't wait to get inspired for wh

Purple Power Juice

As we wrap up our 3 day juice reboot , I find myself thinking about this fruity concoction we enjoyed on day 2 . A strong, berry burst with a bite of ginger, perfect as a morning pick-me-up. Remember, fruit is best consumed in the morning on an empty stomach because it moves through your digestive system much faster than other foods. 6 cups of concord grapes 1 green apple 1/2 cup of blackberries 2 2"  pieces of ginger (I used 1 1" piece because ginger is super strong) Enjoy! xo Sécia Check out our other juice recipes  here ! F O L L O W    U S   O N    I N S T A G R A M   ::    @seciasophia